Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici, analytics e di terze parti.
Proseguendo nella navigazione accetti l'utilizzo dei cookie.

Preferenze cookies

Information for U.S. Citizens wishing to marry in Italy


U.S. citizens wishing to be married in Italy must appear before the Civil Registrar of the City Hall (“Comune”) where the marriage is to take place, bring two witnesses, and make a declaration of their intention to marry.

Please, contact as soon as possible the chosen City Hall office for more detailed information and arrangements.

For religious wedding, please contact directly the marriage officiant in order to obtain specific information on the procedure.

The couple must also present the following documents:

• A valid U.S. passport;

• A certified copy of the birth certificate in “long form”, which includes the names of both parents and legalized with an “Apostille” affixed by the Secretary of State of the State where the birth took place. The birth certificate must be accurately translated into Italian and must have an apostille as well.

• If applicable, a final decree of divorce and/or death certificate of the previous spouse, legalized with the Apostille issued by the Secretary of State of the State where the event took place. The death certificate must be accurately translated into Italian. The divorce decree must also be professionally translated into Italian, certified with a “Certificate of Accuracy” and have an Apostille affixed by the Secretary of State of the State where the translation was certified.

• It is mandatory to present to the Italian municipality a suitable document issued by American authorities, translated into Italian and with Apostille, attesting to the status of unmarried couple

A certificate of clearance to the marriage (art. 116 C.C.) issued by the authority responsible for the place of residence of the foreign national(s), duly translated and with Apostille issued by the competent authority of his country, Always duly translated and with Apostille, or certificate of matrimonial capacity (for the countries adhering to the Munich Convention of 1980 (Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Holland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Moldova).

• All attendees must have a valid ID for identification (Passport or driver’s license);

• A Declaration, sworn to by the U.S. citizens who intend to marry in Italy before an American Consular officer in Italy, stating that according to the United States laws there is no obstacle to his/her marriage. If the American citizen is under legal age, a sworn statement of consent of the marriage by the parents or legal guardian is needed. Please call the U.S. Consulate in Italy with the phone numbers provided below to arrange an appointment. All attendees will need to present a valid ID for identification (Passport).

• We underline that all translations of the above certificates (birth, death or divorce) must also have an apostille.

U.S. Embassy Rome

Tel. (011) (39) 06.46741

U.S. Consulate General Milan

Tel. (011) (39) 02.290351

U.S. Consulate General Florence

Tel. (011) (39) 055.266.951

U.S. Consulate General Naples

Tel. (011) (39) 081.583.8111

U.S. Consular Agency Genoa

Tel, (011) (39) 010.584.492

U.S. Consular Agency Palermo

Tel. (011) (39) 091.305857

U.S. Consular Agency Venice

Tel. (011) (39) 041.541.5944

After the declaration, banns must be posted at the local City Hall for eight consecutive days and four more days are necessary before the marriage occurs.

However, banns are usually waived by the Vital Statistic Registrar (“Ufficiale dello Stato Civile”) if neither party to the marriage is an Italian nor is residing in Italy.

Please confirm with the U.S. Consulate in Italy or with the City Hall (“Comune”) to see if this is applicable to you.

On the fourth day following the eight days on which the bans are posted, the couple may be married, in a civil ceremony performed by the Civil Registrar, or in a religious ceremony performed by a clergyman.

Please note: THE CLERGYMAN MUST REGISTER THE MARRIAGE with the “Ufficiale dello Stato Civile” to validate it.

It is suggested, before leaving Italy, that you request a copy of your marriage certificate from the City Hall and also have this legalized with an Apostille at the local Prefettura.

Law n. 183/2011, which amended the Presidential Decree N. 445/2000, in particular where the subjects to whom the rule applies where administrative documentation is concerned, it has not intervened to regulate a specific derogation with respect to the foreign citizen. In particular, it is expected that “nationals of non-union member States regularly residing in Italy may use the substitute declarations referred to in articles 46 and 47 limited to the status, personal qualities and facts certifiable by Italian public subjects, without prejudice to the special provisions contained in the laws and regulations concerning the disciplines of immigration and the condition of the foreigner “(art. 3, paragraph 2, Presidential Decree No. 445/2000).