This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Enrollment of foreign students in Italian Institutions of higher education


Enrollment of foreign students in Italian Institutions of higher education


Following the Covid-19 emergency, for the 2020-2021 academic year there will be no deadline for university pre-enrollments of international students. The new regulations for the access of foreign students to university courses for the academic year 2020/2021 will be published shortly on the website of the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) ( ). In addition to general information on the organization and functioning of Italian universities, application forms will also be available for download.

In the meantime, international students are invited to contact the AFAM institutes or Italian universities of their choice, to check the admission requirements and for an evaluation of their academic profile.

Who can enroll in the first academic year:

- students holding a High School Diploma (HSD) qualification, who have passed at least three US "Advanced Placements" (APs) with a score from 3 to 5, in three different subjects and related to the university study course for the required registration. The presence of an "AP" in Italian will be compulsorily required only for students with foreign citizenship. The "AP" in Italian will not be counted for this purpose, in the case of students with Italian citizenship or in the case of enrollment in courses provided entirely in English.

- students holding a High School Diploma followed by two full years of a further "College" course (Associate degree). Such enrollment will be possible even if the attendance of the course following the achievement of the High School Diploma takes place at university institutions of a third country. In this case, the competent academic bodies of the Italian higher education institute will evaluate the entire consistency of the course itself, which in any case cannot have a duration of less than one year.

In case of enrollment in the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, it is necessary to have passed the exam called IMAT - International Medical Admissions Test.

Students of Italian citizenship, residing in the U.S., will be able to enroll directly in the University in Italy. Foreign students will instead have to apply for pre-enrollment through this Consulate General.


Non-EU students residing in this Consular district who intend to take "Single Courses" (for a semester or an entire academic year) at an Italian university must apply for pre-enrollment through this Consulate General. The following website provides useful information for the registration: